C is for Chakra:
You’re probably asking yourself, what is a Chakra? The word Chakra translates to “wheel” acting as an exchange of energy. They reside within our subtle energy body (aura) and not within the physical body. These energy wheels spin when they are open, activated and balanced. Depending how strong or weak each chakra is, we will notice changes in our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. When all is in alignment, the spiritual energy known as kundalini can rise up through the body.
A chakra is an organizational center for the reception, and transmission of life energy. Each Chakra is represented by a specific color, sound vibration, and other correspondences. They each have specific crystals, herbs, and oils that resonate with each, to aid in healing and balancing. Here is a list of 7 Chakras (there are more, but we will touch base on the 7 main for this post)
1. Root Chakra – Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
2. Sacral Chakra – Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
- Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra – Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
4. Heart Chakra – Our ability to love.
- Location: Center of chest just above heart.
- Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
5. Throat Chakra – Our ability to communicate.
- Location: Throat.
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
6. Third Eye Chakra – Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes. (Also called the Brow Chakra)
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
7. Crown Chakra – The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.
So why Chakra’s? A few months ago I had the pleasure to attend a Chakra Balancing Workshop with a wonderful teacher. I was a little sceptical, but I am also the type of person that is open minded to things such as Yoga, Acupuncture, Kinnesiology, and other natural healing techniques. Why wouldn’t I check out something like Chakra Balancing?
*This is an excerpt from a testimonial I gave to our teacher. **
During the Heart Chakra balancing, the healing oils were passed around. One particularly being Rose. For almost my entire life, I disliked the smell of roses. Something about them reminded me of death. I could not explain why. As the oils were passed around I reluctantly smelled it, was repulsed, and passed it on to the next person. We then were proclaiming a particular affirmation out loud in the class: “Love is the answer to everything in life, and I give and receive love effortlessly and unconditionally to myself and others” That’s when it hit me. A fast flowing feeling of warmth within from head to toe, yet unbelievably cold on the outside. I also had, which is very hard to explain because I don’t want it to seem frightening because it wasn’t, but a tightness in my chest, like a bubble. I was not in pain, it was not hurting, it was just uncomfortable. Like when someone or something just gets you all twisted in a knot. We did some tapping, as well as affirmations, and I had this enormous release of energy, like I just exhaled from holding the longest breath I had ever held. Within a few minutes I felt like my old self, only better, much better. Someone had brought me a cup of water to drink and I was much more relaxed. Oh and that Rose Oil that I was so repulsed by, was lingering on my hand from holding the bottle not much earlier, and surprisingly enough the smell at that point, was beautiful. It no longer repulsed me. There was such a block within my Heart Chakra, and after this one session, it’s been opened up.
Obviously this isn’t the same for everyone, and my particular experience is unique to me. But I have to say since my session I’ve become more in tune with my body and feel more at ease with speaking my truth! Holding onto and bottling issues up is no longer part of who I am!